Sunday, May 2, 2021

Stockholm 67 - The Electric Prunes




Stockholm 67
The Electric Prunes
Sutro Park SP1010
2012

I like the first three albums by the Electric Prunes, "The Electric Prunes," "Underground" and "Mass in F Minor," but I think if you are going to own just one Prunes album this is the one to get.  It is a live album professionally recorded by Swedish radio from a concert in Stockholm in December 1967.  Since the Prunes were undermined by their management and record company during their recording sessions, this live album arguably represents the purest and most effective expression of the Prunes' vision and capabilities as a band.  There are only eight songs but the band offers up high energy and elongated versions of them that shred the original studio recordings.  The album opens up with "You Never Had It Better" which was the B-side of a single.  The studio version is a riff-driven psych rocker that is one of my favorite Prunes tracks.  The live version follows that blueprint but with a more thunderously heavy performance.  Ken Williams has a blistering guitar solo that is even better than the smoking studio version.  Vocalist James Lowe apologizes for America's involvement in the Vietnam War prior to launching into the Prunes' biggest hit "I Had Too Much to Dream (Last Night)."  The song is missing the psychedelic sound effects of the studio version but otherwise sounds similar.  "Try Me on for Size" was on their first album.  It opens with a blast of acid rock guitar that is right out of the Big Brother and the Holding Company playbook before launching into the song's hypnotic riff.  Lowe's vocal is far more impassioned than the studio version and Williams unleashes an extended killer guitar solo that I find thrilling.  Mark Tulin's bass solo is less compelling but energetic.  The song evolves into an acid rock jam that is unlike any of their studio recordings.  This is the highlight of the record for me.  The record slows down with "I Happen to Love You" which was on "Underground."  Lowe introduces the song as a Monkees reject that they picked up.  Lowe's vocal is grittier than the studio version and the band's performance is heavier with a wonderful rave-up at the end.  Side two opens with a cover of Muddy Waters' blues classic "I Got My Mojo Workin'."  The song is more garage-psych than it is blues however with Tulin laying down a mesmerizing bass riff over which Williams unleashes sizzling torrents of acid rock guitar.  Lowe delivers a riveting vocal that reminds me of Jim Morrison at this best.  "Long Day's Flight (Til Tomorrow)" is another track from "Underground."  Williams and Lowe again shine on this track which crushes the studio version with its power and energy.  It is followed by a tremendously exciting cover of Howlin' Wolf's "Smokestack Lightning" which is highlighted by Lowe's charismatic vocal and William's dynamic guitar runs.  The song was probably inspired by the Yardbirds' classic cover which has long been my favorite version, but this one is arguably even more exhilarating.  The record concludes with "Get Me to the World on Time" which was the band's second top 40 single.  The band kicks out the jams on the song with electrifying riffing from Tulin and Williams that gives the record an explosive finish.  What a breath-taking set!  I wish I could have been there.  I first heard this on CD about 20 years ago and it was revelatory to me.  I was a fan of the Prunes but I had no idea they were this talented.  I was thrilled when it finally came out on vinyl in 2012 in a very handsome package.  It is among my favorite records.  If you like edgier garage rock or hard-psych this is a must have.  I rate it among the best recordings of the genre.  Recommended to fans of the Chocolate Watchband.

No comments:

Post a Comment