Saturday, May 6, 2023

Have Yourself a Rockin' Little Christmas - Lucinda Williams




Have Yourself a Rockin' Little Christmas
Lucinda Williams
Highway 20 Records H20011-1
2021

This is one of a series of covers albums that Lucinda Williams recorded in 2020 during the pandemic prior to the stroke she suffered in November of that year.  Happily she seems to have recovered from that.  This was my go-to album last Christmas.  My wife thinks it is not Christmassy enough and I can see that, it is definitely more rocking and bluesy than sentimental and traditional but that suits me just fine.  Also if you think Christmas should just be about the birth of Jesus, well this is definitely not the album for you.  The album opens with Buck Owens' "Blue Christmas Lights."  Although the song still retains some of the original's country flavor, Williams' performance sounds more R&B and has some nice guitar noise.  Up next is Chuck Berry's "Run Run Rudolph" which bares little resemblance to the rock and roll original.  It opens with a guitar line that sounds like it was lifted from a James Bond soundtrack and the song itself has been slowed down and given a swampy seductive feel that I find entrancing.  It is right in Williams' wheelhouse and she crushes it.  It is my favorite track.  "Christmas Tears" was originally done by Freddie King.  Williams follows the original blues arrangement which is completely compatible with her style and her guitarist Stuart Mathis acquits himself well with the solo.  Merle Haggard's "If We Make It Through December" is one of the gloomiest Christmas songs I've ever heard.  It is about a parent who has lost their job and can't afford to give a proper Christmas to their child.  Williams keeps the country flavor and sounds even more miserable than Haggard.  It is well done, but a real downer.  The blues return with Charles Brown's R&B classic "Merry Christmas, Baby" which Williams gives a sultry and smoky treatment.  Mathis again provides a solid guitar solo that gives the song a big lift.  Williams reaches back to the 1930s with Irving Berlin's "I've Got My Love To Keep Me Warm."  Technically the song isn't a Christmas song but it fits the season.  Williams gives a loose, even a bit sloppy, performance quite different from the typical crooner versions I've heard in the past.  I like it though, it reaches me better than most of the old-fashioned ones.  "Santa Claus Wants Some Lovin'" was originally done by Albert King and Williams keeps it in the same blues rock arrangement.  Her band's rocking performance and the urgency of her performance makes it one of the strongest tracks on the album.  "Christmas in New Orleans" was released by Louis Armstrong in 1955.  There is not much point in trying to copy the inimitable Armstrong so Williams abandons his recitative style and the big band jazz arrangement in favor of a rollicking yet slinky R&B performance that works just as well if not better.  "Please Come Home For Christmas" is another Charles Brown song.  It is a bluesy number that is ideal for Williams' style.  I have never heard a better version and don't you even dare mention to me the Eagles' cover of this.  "Little Red Rooster" is the Howlin' Wolf classic written by Willie Dixon.  As you probably know the original song has nothing to do with Christmas but she has inserted Christmas references into the song that fit surprisingly well.  The song is perfect for Williams and she delivers the goods.  It is one of my favorite tracks.  The Ramones' "Merry Christmas (I Don't Want To Fight Tonight)" makes an unlikely appearance next.  It is not as rocked up as the original (which I prefer to this) but it is still a blast of high energy that she sings convincingly.  The album closes with the venerable standard "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas" given a silky bluesy treatment that bares little resemblance to the famous Judy Garland version.  This is probably wise since although I adore Williams she doesn't really have the pipes to put over an emotional and sentimental performance like Garland's.  Williams' performance is arguably too laid back to do the song justice, but it does make for a mellow and appealing finish to the album.  From a strictly musical standpoint this is an outstanding Christmas album.  Williams has terrific taste and she has chosen songs that work really well for her.  On the other hand I was playing this while trimming the tree and while it gave me plenty of energy it didn't provide much seasonal atmosphere.  I don't like Christmas enough to be very bothered by this and I appreciate that I can listen to it out of season (which I have done) and it still holds up.  Recommended to atheists who would rather listen to Freddie King than Nat King Cole. 

No comments:

Post a Comment